Sunday, April 6, 2008

Nothing Can Be Certain Except For Death & Taxes

Who said that? Benjamin Franklin, I believe... well, it's true. It's that time of year and truth be told - taxes stink! The tax code definitely needs overhaul and I don't know how accountants do it. I only worry about our taxes - the stuff we give to our CPA and the pre-tax work I do for a client. And I loath it! Hate it! Can't imagine it consuming my life more than it does.

Death! My Aunt Linda, who I love so much, lost her younger brother, her only remaining brother today. He and his wife, his high school sweetheart, live in East Tennessee as well and today was a beautiful, warm, sunny spring day. So, he went out to enjoy the day, mow the lawn and do some work. Massive heart attack and now he's gone. He was such a nice, nice person. So full of life, laughter and vibrancy. Aunt Linda lost her youngest brother last June after a long battle with cancer. She didn't take the news today very well at all. Her and my uncle are on their way here tonight.

I knew him, not well, but the time I was around him - such a great guy! It's just sad for my aunt and the rest of his family. So sudden, no time to prepare - no goodbye... he's just gone.

Although, there is a blessing in that. I think. After what has been happening with Dad and watching Gran out live her mind... I think that there is truly a blessing in just going. One minute you are here... the next you are in heaven (hopefully).

I have such a strong faith in God and my eternal life. But, I have to be honest, the past months have rattled my faith a little. Actually, going back to when Grandad first got sick and was in a nursing home for a while... and there were so many elderly patients who didn't know where they were, so sick, laying in the hallways, the smell... and this is just a tiny corner of the not so glamorous side of life. What about children starving to death... people that die tragic drawn out painful deaths... It is just hard in my "humanness" to understand.

I guess there are some things that we will never get our minds wrapped around in this life. Hopefully, one day, it will all make sense.

I hope it will.

LA

No comments:

Post a Comment