Saturday, April 21, 2007

Today Is A Good Day

 

Katie and I spent the entire day together today and it's been fun and it's felt wonderful! We started of our day playing with her hair and giggling. Then we went to STAR and I'm always so very proud of her when we go there. She stays on tast, stays focused and does absolutely wonderful - and there is a lot going on. The volunteers there are so great! They work with her on coordination, balance, posture, speech, etc. And of course, it's very subtle since it's incorporated into Katie's favorite pastime... HORSES. The horse that she is riding this semester at STAR is CoCo. Coco is a little older and definately fiesty but she's really started to take to Katie. I can't wait for Katie to start riding double with me. I've got about 20-25lbs to go before she can start doing that.

This morning when we were getting ready, we were watching Animal Planet (of course - I can't believe we actually have other channels because that is all that is ever on in our home...lol). Anyway, the episode was about a horse named Dusty and Emily - the cutest little girl.

When Emily was born with spina bifida, doctors told her parents she would never walk. But then the severely handicapped girl developed a special relationship with Dusty, a thirty-two-year-old horse at the Pacific Riding Academy. Through this relationship, Emily's health improved beyond everyone's wildest dreams. Now, at seven years old, Emily not only walks - she runs, and it's all thanks to her friend Dusty. There is no denying the healing benefits of animals! Especially Dogs and Horses!!!!

Then we went to see Gran. Things are better with Gran. Dad had a long talk with her before he left town. A really nice psychologist is working with Gran to help her come to terms with the fact that she just can't do all the things that she use to. I know it's hard - but like I've said all along "I can handle her tears, I'll give her hugs and comfort her as much as I can...". I just can not handle her battling me. Dad told her that if her attitude didn't soften that she would be going to NC with him and she'd be in a nursing home down there. We'll see but I think that's incentive enough not to be nasty. We had a nice visit with her today.

Then we just enjoyed outside. Katie played and played and played some more and I just enjoyed watching and laughing with her. It's been a long time since there weren't things "keeping me" from just hanging out with her and enjoying her.

We decided that since we will be out of town on our very exciting trip during her birthday - we are going to do a Build-A-Bear party later in May for her birthday. She will be 8 this year! Can't believe it. She's invited 14 girls and we can't have it the weekend we come back - because that is Mayfest at school and that interferred last year. So, it's May 19th. It will be so much fun! It will be crazy - but it will be fun!!! Lisa will be out of town - I can't believe I forgot that when I scheduled it!


Speaking of Lisa... I'm so excited because we are hanging out with her and Rick tonight and we haven't had a fun time together since December 22nd. They did so much to help out during my health crisis but that definitely wasn't fun! It'll be good to just hang out again and laugh and cut up! I stole this picture from her blog... I think it's really good.

I saw a lady from Fashion Bug a week ago. That has been my favorite store since being in sizes 20+. She's worked at the one in North Knoxville for 10+ years and it was the first time she'd seen me since I'd lost weight and she about died. She was raving!! She told me that I needed to go shopping because my clothes were huge!! I tried on my favoite summer tops from the past two summers last night and Don was like "NO!" on almost all of them... he said they were so big and blousy that they looked like maternity tops.

By the way - I'm down another pound today. That makes almost 90 pounds! I'd love to hit the 90 pound mark by April 27th, which is my four month anniversary. That is next Friday - so we will see! :) Guess I better be hitting the park for my 3 1/2 miles every day this week, huh!? It's hard to fit that in when Katie is home but I will do my best tomorrow. I wore Katie out this morning taking six flights of stairs at the hospital...lol! That says a lot... takes a lot to wear my little girl out!

More later!
LA :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment