Friday, January 18, 2008

Snow Is Now A Four Letter Word To Me



Katie was so disappointed this week when we had the weather forecast Wednesday night of 1-3" of snow and the PTA even canceled their Thursday morning meeting in anticipation of the schools being closed because of the certain snowfall... NADA! We got rain! As usual!

Katie is EIGHT and she's never gotten to build a snowball or go down a hill on a sled! She hasn't even experienced having a snow day and playing with her friends in the snow and then warming up to hot chocolate afterwards!! *sigh*

Outside of the botched weather forecast - we haven't had the best of weeks. Katie finished up her auditory processing evaluation(s) that she has been having since October 2007. She failed. Turns out Katie never had hearing loss. Mild loss in the left ear. Never did she have severe to profound loss in the right. Never! She has an auditory processing disorder. Which now means another diagnosis. She will now add a neurologist to her team of doctors. And many more hours of therapy...

The good news is - she will finally be getting that MRI that I have been pleading with doctors for her to have since she was FOUR!

Lesson learned for me this week - I thought I was being an aggressive and thorough advocate for Katie with her health and medical care... turns out I need to listen to my gut and be much more aggressive and insist when I feel things "aren't right"!

So back to the snow... we thought "it's been a tough week... let's get out of town for the day"! So we did! We headed to Sugar Mountain in Banner Elk, NC. We picked Katie up from school early and headed to the mountains. Our goal was to make a 2pm snow tubing session. We got there at 1:15pm. Plenty of time, right!?

Wrong! We had to change into our snow bibs and boots. Sugar Mountain has gone down hill drastically since the last time I was there. It was dirty and old... Katie and I had a really hard time changing in our little bathroom stall - the floor was wet and dirty, there were two of us with our big bulky snow clothes and boots - I can't even imagine having done that a year ago - never would have worked... in a month or so, when I look back, it will probably make me laugh - but not today!

So we get changed, we get down to the tubing area and get in a very long line. At 2:05 - we are third in line and they announce that it's sold out!

*argghhh!!!!!*

So we headed home. We came home through the Linville Gorge and at least it was a very pretty drive! Frozen lakes, snow covered farms... but no snowball fights or snowmen!

So, it's official! I give up on snow! I lived in Washington DC for numerous years and never really experienced "a big snow". Now they have them all the time. I grew up in Charlotte NC and never really experienced "a big snow"! Now they get 6" snow falls all the time. Knoxville use to get big snow falls - not anymore! I could move to Alaska and the artic thaw would occur! All the snow would go away!

Tomorrow is a new day!

Please keep Katie in your prayers! She's the hardest working 8 year-old ever! I don't want her to have anything else lumped on her to struggle with! Enough for one little girl already!!

LA

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer & DavidJanuary 21, 2008 at 7:34 AM

    Hi! I hate to tell you, but we got two inches here! It melted the next morning, but.....maybe you should head this way for the next snowfall prediction! You know I'd love to have you -- and you can bring Don, too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you are the reason that my children have never gotten to play in the snow!! Move, my friend! (jk!!)

    I can't wait for us to get together and talk!!

    ReplyDelete